Rh prophylaxis

Yanxia

I don‘t know in USA if the father and the mother all D negative, whether the mother will receive prophylaxis or not.

I said that just because I remember some book said it need not.

In China we will routinely test D antigen not E e C c, so some Rhnull will be treated like D negative.

If one of the parents is D negative with normal RHAG, the other is Rhnull of the regulator type, then the baby mybe a D positive.

On 8 month do not give the prophylaxis,then immune the mother.

We do not typically test the purported father. We give RhIG based on mother's blood type. If she is D negative, she will get RhIG at 28 weeks, and if the baby is D positive, then another vial within 72 hours of birth (more if there is a documented fetal-maternal bleed greater than 30 mL). Sometimes the purported father is not the real father. Our motto is "if in doubt, give it out." This means the mother will get RhIG in most cases if she is Rh negative.

BC

Bob, Is the RhIg kept and issued from your Blood Bank?

Here it is a Pharmacy item. Yet we keep records of the Rh negative pregnancy and who took the prophylaxis, as required by the CAP chacklist. Is it necessary, since we don't carry the RhIg? Liz:o

We still dispense the RHIG from the blood bank. We had talked about giving it to the pharmacy, but after looking at what we do to determine candidacy and dosage, they decided they didn't want it after all. As far as the CAP checklist goes, someone needs to keep documentation of who received the Rh immune globulin. If pharmacy is doing a good job of that, then I don't see where you need to double document. Our pharmacy distributes the WinRho, and they keep all records for that. We don't keep documentation also. I hope that helps. The important thing is to protect the patient.

BC