ISBT and the MISYS computer system

Does anyone in this forum have the MISYS (Version 6.1 or 6.2) system? I have some questions about how you are naming component types for the new ISBT bar coded products.

Are you differentiating components when the anticoagulant and/or volume is different, but it's the same product....i.e. Red Blood Cells (CPD/450ml) VS. Red Blood Cells (CPD/500ml) or another.....Red Blood Cells (CPD/450ml) VS Red Blood Cells (CPDA-1/450ml)?

Using our Codabar that we have now, we don't care about the anticoagulant in our Red Blood Cells, Leukoreduced. Whether it's CPDA-1 or AS-1, all are still placed in the computer system as LRC (Leukoreduced Red Blood Cell).

Hope this makes sense.

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

We are using a one-to-one relationship with Component Type Misys code and ISBT product code. We elected to do this because of the way Misys will handle on-demand printing of labels using a new function BLP-Blood Label Print in 6.3 and printing automatically with BCP (6.4 or higher).

I do have a spreadsheet that we are using to develop our maintenance. We are currently moving from 5.4 (uffda) to 6.2...

If you send me an email, I can forward the spreadsheet to you. It might give you some ideas....it might not....?

Deb

dschue@altru.org

Does anyone in this forum have the MISYS (Version 6.1 or 6.2) system? I have some questions about how you are naming component types for the new ISBT bar coded products.

Are you differentiating components when the anticoagulant and/or volume is different, but it's the same product....i.e. Red Blood Cells (CPD/450ml) VS. Red Blood Cells (CPD/500ml) or another.....Red Blood Cells (CPD/450ml) VS Red Blood Cells (CPDA-1/450ml)?

Using our Codabar that we have now, we don't care about the anticoagulant in our Red Blood Cells, Leukoreduced. Whether it's CPDA-1 or AS-1, all are still placed in the computer system as LRC (Leukoreduced Red Blood Cell).

Hope this makes sense.

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

We are new to Misys, but in our previous system, had named the products separately. as the American Red Cross has different product codes for these units. We have continued in that mode, planning for the ISBT 128 implementation and yes, it is a challenge to get suitable names, eg R3L and RL3 fot two slightly different As-3 products that are Leukodreduced. Don't know if this helps.

• 2 months later...

Why not name products with actual ISBT product codes? In performing a recent Misys 6.2 validation, I realized that the actual product code is never dispayed once the unit has been entered into the system. For example, I need to validate that when an FFP unit is thawed in BCP, it will update to the correct product code. If I named the products E0701(frozen FFP CPD) and E0773 (thawed FFP CPD), I would know right away if the product code updated correctly. Since on demand printing is not available yet in this version, this would also simplify input using stand alone label printers. Any thoughts on this?

I am working on getting Meditech live with this but the issues are similar in Mysis it sounds like. Only problem with using the ISBT codes is that you might want them to make sense to nursing or billing.

I plan at this point to lump my product codes together as long as they have the same basic characteristics and the same expiration, but one thing I have realized is that every one of them that might be relabeled via aliquoting, irradiation, pooling etc. need to have the accurate original product description carry through on the label you put on the bag. Thus plt pheresis (7 day exp) part 2 of 3 has to have a different code than part 3 of 3 of the same donation number. Likewise CPD 450 ml and 500 ml. Either that or you limit which products you allow to go through modifications. This is a nightmare if you can't do on-demand printing. We may just stop pooling and aliquoting since we only do either a few times per year. That only leaves irradiation for needing 6 different product labels for plts and limiting the red cells we would irradiate to LR AS-5, our supplier's main product.

I am open to suggestions on the folly of my plans. Sorry to hijack from Misys only.

Mabel,

I was concerned about product recognition as well. In Misys, I know that users can configure a full description to print on their product tags and of course, the full description of the product will also be on the product label itself. As far as billing, codes like R2I and PPL3 don't make much sense to billing anyway. The long and the short of it is, E0701 will always be a CPD FFP Frozen in ISBT terms, anywhere, anyplace in the country (and the world for that matter.) We need to start making these codes part of our collective Blood Bank language. I do favor the one to one relationship as it spells out product, modification, anticoagulant, and in some cases intended use all at once.

Speaking of intended use, I believe Misys can allow 6 characters for naming products. This way you can add intended use code at the end, i.e. E0701V or E0701D, etc.

I'm not sure if this is an option in Meditech.

In Misys version 6.2, split codes do not update in ISBT format; A0, B0, C0, etc. They update as what we call slash codes, appending a /1, /2. etc. at the end of the DIN. This always presents a problem in barcode scanning split products. We are promised that this will be a new feature in future versions as well as on demand printing. I have seen the ISBT aliquot codes work quite nicely in Safetrace TX and HBB so I'm hoping the other vendors follow suit.

• 3 weeks later...

We too are using the ISBT code as the product codes in Misys. Much easier than making up hundreds of new nonsense codes and they are right on the bag.

Have you noticed in various Misys programs such as Blood Component Prep that when the ISBT code (ex: E3066V) is used as product code, you scan in the DIN and the component field populates with the E3066V, the message "Barcode could not be translated" appears? The system is trying to translate E3066V as a bar code and it doesn't have the characters =<. Very annoying, but if you scan the code on the bag or enter the =< it works just fine.

• 1 month later...

We are on V6.2, and our component types are all defined into basic LR, LRI (LR IRAD), PLR1, PLR2 etc. I did the same with the ISBT-128 coding for two reasons: Ease of component type recognition by techs and nursing staff, and billing - our codes match HPCS / CPT descriptions.