Anti-A,B Revisited

johna

I know there was a long thread back in September concerning the use of anti-A,B but I had a couple of comments/questions that I wanted to throw into the mix.

As far as monoclonal anti-A,B picking up A subgroups more readily than anti-A I would have to say that from our experience the monoclonal A,B reagents react better rather consistently. We test red cells which present themselves as a reverse group discrepancy (front-O, reverse-A) or react questionably or <1+ with our routine anti-A reagent with a battery of anti-A and anti-A,B reagents. These include Immucor, Ortho, Gamma and even a long outdated BCA (remember them?) product. I'm not sure why a monoclonal anti-A,B would react better than an anti-A since it's only a blend of the two clones but we have encountered the occasional very weak A subgroup which reacts only or preferably with anti-A,B.

My question relates to an adsorption/elution procedure using monoclonal anti-A,B. Is your adsorption being performed only at room temperature and how long is your incubation period? Are you using any other type of elution besides a heat elution? Is your eluate tested against reagent red cells only at room temperature?

I notice that the Technical Manual says that aside from room temp the eluate "may" also be tested at 37C and by the indirect Coombs test. Would anyone expect to be able to detect monoclonal anti-A,B in an indirect Coombs test? Any and all responses will be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 years later...