Number of Units Transfused

I am told a number of our Physicians are asking for this particular request. They would like to have the BB system transmit the number of units transfused via the result interface. The Number of units are to increment during the patient stay. Is anyone doing this? How? Which BB System allows such a thing.

I would like to know: Do they want this per specimen? Per Visit? Per Blood Product ( or all )? Per lifetime? etc etc. Any feedback will be very much welcomed.

Our system (Meditech) prints a daily cummulative report on each inpatient. At the end of the stay there is a final discharged report that replaces the cummulatives. On this report are all the units transfused on that particular stay (only). Of course you can go in the computer and inquiry for a lifetime of blood bank history including tests and products.

There is also the management report of transfusions asking the doctor if their patient has come done with a transmittable disease that might be linked to the products the received.

That's all I can think of for the Meditech computer system

Our Physicians view lab results via our Physician Portal,this is the reason why we need the information to cross into our HIS System. To date the only thing I can think of is have a test created called "X" and the BB tech will have to increment this. ( ugly .. yes.. painful... yes and not 100%.. a problem ). Nursing today is documenting manually number of units received but not being done 100%.

Has anyone else ever gotten a request like this before?

Must it be a running total? Wouldn't it be more meaningful to be listed as a total for the day. Then maybe those totals could be summed at the end of the stay. What would a doctor do with a running total? Decide to give FFP every time the patient has received 10 units over a two week period (like some of our docs seem to want to)? Heaven knows they aren't worrying about the patient's bill!

Meditech has a capability of having a test result that prints with the hem results on the cum report showing units transfused over the prior day.

You are so right! We have asked these questions and I have not been given any answers...

So far the doctors have asked for a running total! But have not clarified if pc's only or FFP etc etc.. Or if they want it for the exp of the specimen , day or stay..

This is why I have reached out to the forum.. Maybe someone has invented the wheel and willing to share :-)

In meditech how do you identify which test will print with the hem results?

thank you in advance