OP transfusions

lef5501

One of the CAP checklist questions asks about patients receiving off-site of outpatient transfusions. It asks if "instructions are provided to the patient regarding adverse reactions to transfusion." Our outpatient RN's go over sysmptoms with the patients verbally but do not give out written instructions. I was just wondering if anyone had a sample letter that they give to patients receciving outpatient transfusions. I just feel it would be better to give them something to take home with them instead of relying on memory.

We have a 2-part form. One goes in patient chart, the other they take home. There are spots for nurse & patient signatures.

It instructs them to contact their physician if they experience symptoms within 2 days of transfusion. Lists symptoms... elevated temp, chills, back pain, nausea, trouble breathing, edema, itching, hives/rash, jaundice.

Sorry I can't attach our form, it is not in our computer system in a way that I can retrieve for attachment.

Linda Frederick