Rh only orderable

Jodi Barsha

Does anyone allow just an Rh type to be ordered? I am curious as I am setting up Cerner Millennium for our lab and have been told this will cause a history check error if the ABO is not entered on the patient. If you don't allow it to be ordered separately, is this a compliance issue if we do the ABO when it is not really medically necessary? Thanks:o .

I agree with Lcsmrz, we have Rh only as an orderable test for our ER patients. We have Cerner Classic at this time and yes it does cause a history check error. I would like to remove this test from what we offer for that reason, but I get negative response from the ER when I mention it.

I wish I could get our ER docs to just order the ABO,Rh! They order Type and Screen on every patient that might remotely need it. We do so much unnecessary testing and we are so understaffed. Our hospital is a teaching hospital and most of our patients are indigent. Any suggestions?

When we went to our current computer system, we dropped doing Rh only testing. We wanted to get avoid those problems with conflicting blood type histories.

-----------------------

If your ER is ordering type & screens on everyone, maybe you could get them to do what used to be called a 'clot to hold' instead? We call it a "BBBAND". We use the Typenex system, so they collect a properly labeled specimen for us. No testing is done unless they order, but it speeds up the process if they do need something later.