Gel cards showing reactivity with C+ cells in presence of anti-D.

During the last two months, I've had three specimens containing anti-D which reacted 1-2+ with some C+ panel cells, most recently, a CAP Elution survey. The other two specimens were from an OB patient who's plasma contains anti-D and anti-E (the patient is rr). Antibodies to all other commonly occuring antigens were ruled-out. The samples were collected one month apart for titers. On the first specimen, 2 of 9 selected panel cells which were D=E=C+ reacted 1-2+, the other 7 were negative. I used both 0.8% Ortho cells and 3% Immucor/Gamma which I diluted to 0.8%. There was one panel cell expressing homozygosity and 6 panel cells expressing heterozygosity that gave negative results. Of the two reactive cells, one was Ortho and the other Immucor/Gamma. Both were expressing heterozygosity. The other two samples reacted simularily. Any thoughts?

• 3 years later...

This is a bit late (about 3 and a half years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but have you thought about the possibility that there may be an anti-G present?

In such situations, it may be worthwhile splitting the plasma into two, adsorbing one with r'r red cells and then testing this with Ro red cells, and adsorbing the other one with Ro red cells and then testing this with r'r red cells.