ABO discrepancy

bevydawn

I was reviewing and updating our policy and procedure manual and noticed there is nothing in there to guide techs in the event of an ABO discrepancy. Does anyone else have a policy and/or procedure for techs to refer to for this and is it more informative or procedural??

I mean if the forward and reverse type do not match. I get phone calls all hours of the day from techs having trouble with types and we have a technical manual right beside our procedure manual. However, if its not in our SOP's they wont do it without consulting me first. That is why I would like to have some kind of something in our SOPs to give them some guidance.

We have developed "work aids" which are basically flow charts for procedures that our techs seem to have difficulty with. We have a very good procedure manual but sometimes the "work aids" are more helpful because they do give a step by step method of where to go next. It might be something worth trying in this case.

• 7 months later...

We have developed "work aids" which are basically flow charts for procedures that our techs seem to have difficulty with. We have a very good procedure manual but sometimes the "work aids" are more helpful because they do give a step by step method of where to go next. It might be something worth trying in this case.

We have a similar situation. There is a written SOP for both ABO & Rh discrepancies but we have given each tech a copy of a "work aid" which has specific examples of various discrepancies, the probable and possible reasons for them and the steps to take to resolve. This makes it a lot easier than having to sort through a formal SOP with extraneous information that is irrelevant to the problem at hand.