Another price increase!

C Riley

Isn't there anyone else out there worried that we have only two suppliers for blood bank reagents? What we pay for reagents is insignificant compared to what would happen if one of them had trouble producing, and I mean to our hospital operations. We cannot purchase from outside the country, we cannot produce this stuff ourselves, and much of it we cannot stockpile. I only hope they become so robust that some other manufacturer decides it a good business to get into! I am sorry the price increases wrecked your budget, mine too, but let's think in the long term.

I'm curious, what do you think we can do about it? Besides worry that is.

Co-op and produce our own? Maybe, but in the regulatory enviroment we now live in, unlikely. The low business volume is what put the others out of business in the first place. I just hope we can keep what we have and don't get down to only 1. Apparently Olympus is trying on a very limited scale but I haven't seen much on the horrizon to indicate anyone else coming out especially with the advent of automation. Use a company's equipment you must use their reagents, why would anyone else want to get involved? If someone can see any silver linings to these clouds I sure hope they share them becasue I don't so I just try to pad my budget as best I can guess. Another thought for you is, reagents are the least of our expenses, have you looked at your blood bill lately!!