Leukoreducing Whole Blood

Is anyone is leukoreducing whole blood? If so what devices are you using to filter the main component? For example IV poles, coat hangers, fancy "leuko-carts?" :idea: Our donor room is about to leukoreduce all of their collections except for autos of course, but we are tight on space and need an area where we can conduct the leukoreduction procedure. The blood bags with the in-line filter have to be fully extended (about 5 feet) during filtration. And keep in mind the product can't touch the floor!! Any ideas or suggestions? I got a price on a cart.....$5,000......NOT!!!

We are getting ready to hang hooks on a wall (top) and then put a shelf below. The problem we found using an IV pole is that you have to hang the bag upside down so the line kinks right as it is going into the bag. I'll let you know how it works.

At our blood center, our components laboratory uses MetroMaxQ carts by Metro. You can order the pieces(size) that meet your needs. They ordered frames, posts, casters, snap-on hooks (for hanging bags), a grid shelf and dividers. It was very easy for them to put together and has held up well in a production environment (we draw approx. 120,000/yr). A single small cart that meets your needs should be very reasonable.

Here you go.

This the link to their home page: www.metro.com

Here are specific links to the specifications of

what we purchased: www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/9.30.pdf & www.metro.com/ftp/pdf/9.35.pdf.

I don’t recall if we purchased direct or through a vendor.

We have a great pole made by Haemonetics just for this use. You can hang several units at once, there are hooks at the top and bottom of the pole, and there is a wire tray to site the final bags in, not on the floor.

It's called a RBC Filtration Pole.

It has a List Number 8170 on it.

I looked around on their site but could not find it, I'm sure you could call and get more info.