Auto anti-e

We usually honor warm autoantibodies with anti-e or any other specificity while they are demonstrating. If they disappear or become reactive with all cells then we no longer give antigen negative.

We had one patient who had auto anti-e and allo anti-E. That was a tough one. We gave her E neg for a while then her auto anti-e became hemolytic so we switched to e neg. The transfusion recommendation flip-flopped for many weeks.

Good point, but what about the dilemma Dawn mentioned above? What do you do when they start hemolyzing?

What about the literature that supports giving phenotypically matched.....does anyone else agree with this philosophy?

• 2 weeks later...

By Cliff's reply I would assume that if you think the patient is hemolyzing (I guess you would know if hgb did not rise, icterus, etc???) the phenotypically matched units the lab should forget trying to avoid making allo-antibodies and give units that won't "feed the fire" anymore??

I have read much literature supporting phenotypically matched units in auto-antibody cases but I guess this kind of goes against all we try to do when we identify an antibody (give antigen negative units).

Without the ability to do auto-absorbtions after transfusing how could you know you won't make matters worse causing the patient to make allo-antibodies?

How would you know which route to go??? Look for those signs of hemolysis then go for the antigen negative units?