Bacterial Detection Method

Dawn

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know of 2 very large AABB, CAP hospitals in the extreme southeast that are using the old fashioned "swirl" technique until the supplier can do their job and test randoms appropriately. What a cop out by the suppliers!!!

I recently joined an institution that relies on the blood center using the swirl technique: we are not AABB, but the CAP checklist does not say this is not acceptable. As a matter of fact, they were inspected by CAP last year and did not have that counted as a deficiency. However, I contacted CAP and was told that the new checklist will have a revision of the question of testing for bacterial contamination and the swirl technique will not be acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our facility used to double seal a section of the remaining tubing and cut it off and submit to Bacteriology ...did this on every unit for a long time until we determined that was not a problem, then continued to monitor once a month for QA issue. This worked well. If we pooled platelets, also did that on the pool tubing to monitor our technique!

Am retired now after 32 years , so don't know if they continued that momnitoring process!

cathy

• 2 weeks later...