labeling units with historical antigen typing

I am just wondering if anybody (any Blood Centers) has been labeling units with historical antigen typings since 2017 FDA guidance came out. For those who are doing these, I am also curious to see what kind of processes you have in place and which antigens you are labeling using historical antigen typing. *FDA guidance document attached* 

UCM534978.pdf

Edited by dothandar

• 1 month later...

Hear anymore on this subject ?  I too am curious. To my knowledge our blood center labels rRBCs as antigen negative confirmed only based on current results. If an historic antigen is called out on the tag it will say “historically types” Cw- for example 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, slsmith said:

The Blood Center we used does not label with historic antigen types, only confirmed. They do however put them in a spread sheet which gets sent to us. If we need a particular antigen we scan the spread sheet, find the unit/s we need and antigen type them ourselves

that is such a lovely service! 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:46 PM, Gnapplec said:

Hear anymore on this subject ?  I too am curious. To my knowledge our blood center labels rRBCs as antigen negative confirmed only based on current results. If an historic antigen is called out on the tag it will say “historically types” Cw- for example 

AABB just published a checklist for this. https://marketplace.aabb.org/ebusiness/Marketplace/AABB-Checklist-for-Labeling-RBC-Units-with-Historical-Antigen-Typing-Results/ProductDetail/14111716

Confirmed typings printed on the label. An attached tag lists the unlicensed reagents (if antigen not on list it is licensed). Historical is listed on a separate sheet and included with the order. 

If historical typings were attached to the bag it would need to be clearly labeled tie tag. I can not see how historical typings could be printed on the label. 

• 4 months later...

Antigens confirmed using licensed anti-sera are printed on the unit label. Any additional tested with unlicensed sera come with a separate tie tag that lists the more uncommon antigens that may have possibly been tested. Any historical donor antigen neg. also get a different tag, but normally we still confirm. antigen type for the ones we need.