Billing for autologous frozen blood

Bb_in_the_rain

Here is a scenario regarding autologous donation for patients with antibodies to high incidence antigens for blood center. 

Upon freezing, procedure code CPT-86932 is billed for freezing and thawing preparation 

When the product is used, product code P9039(deglyc) or P9054(frozen+washed) is billed for freezing and deglycerolization. At this point, does 96932 needed to be refunded, since this autologous donor has already been billed for freezing procedure code? 

Edited by dothandar

As someone who was born and brought up, and still lives, under the NHS system, I still find it quite incredible that someone who has been unfortunate enough to have been born with genes that result in the non-expression of a high prevalence antigen, and who have then produced an antibody directed against the same antigen (and this is USUALLY a female, because of pregnancy - so we are talking sex discrimination here) should be charged more for a unit of blood than someone who is fortunate enough to have a bog standard blood type with no atypical antibodies.

Sorry if I am out of order here.

19 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

As someone who was born and brought up, and still lives, under the NHS system, I still find it quite incredible that someone who has been unfortunate enough to have been born with genes that result in the non-expression of a high prevalence antigen, and who have then produced an antibody directed against the same antigen (and this is USUALLY a female, because of pregnancy - so we are talking sex discrimination here) should be charged more for a unit of blood than someone who is fortunate enough to have a bog standard blood type with no atypical antibodies.

Sorry if I am out of order here.

I would love to have a national system where all transfusion/transplant patients are treated equally regardless of their genetic basis, here, in the US. Unfortunately here in the States, blood is often times is looked as a commodity and treated as such, as well as the services that goes with it. I do not even want to start talking about how deficient our healthcare system is.