PathLabTalk

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

3 posts in this topic

Hello all.  We are choosing between a Beckman DxH and a Sysmex XN.  I would like comments from people who have recently (within 2 years) purchased either of these.  Pros and cons.  Specifically if you have the slide maker/stainer. Thanks.

We recently retired our old-old Coulter LH780 and LH500s and replaced them with DxHs.  The system at the main lab is actually a linked set of DxHs that run under one control system.  They seem to work fine once we got past a few odd break-in problems.  If you are familiar with Coulters, you would have to get used to the newer workstation interface, but they run pretty much the same with some technical improvements.  We like em.

I would not recommend having a linked set installed.  You have more versatility with two separate units.

Scott

we just renewed our contract with Beckman and replaced three overworked DxH's with brand new ones. our setup is all three connected in a line with the SMS at the end (and by the end of the year connected to the Power Express). Honestly, the only other system I would even consider switching to (based on comments read on numerous other forums) is the Sysmex XN.  You have a tough choice there. If your facility is anything like mine, the finance department will make the final call. 

You'll have a choice of creating a connected line with both Sysmex and Beckman. Scott mentioned the connection doesn't work well for his lab - and I find that true for the other labs in our health system. For my lab, it works great. The SMS has pros and cons. LOTS of maintenance. We run a Wright-Giemsa stain, and the lines that handle the stain-buffer mix have developed what I have diagnosed as "coronary artery disease". That mix gets swampy and gross and clogs things up. They finally made a modification that makes flushing with methanol easier, but it is time consuming (45 minutes). BUT the slides are awesome! In my opinion, if you're looking for a system with a slidemaker stainer, I would lean toward Sysmex.