Simplifying the blood bank?

Kathy

Dr. Pepper's response reminded me of what our BB Supervisor does.  He tracks the common "errors" in the department, and ceates a "quiz" for the Techs to answer quarterly usually reffering to the errors that he tracked.  If one can make ther error, then someone else might make the same one.  He calls it "Questions of the Quarter".

It basically requires the Techs to answer 4-6 questions.  Sometimes they are asked to write down the page number and the section number of a particular SOP.  Of course they are to READ the section so they can refer to it.

Another example would be "What information MUST be on a BB specimen in order for it to be accptable for use".

Another might be to calculate the volume of RBCs needed for an exchange transfusion.  Or, what is the expiration date/time of the syringe of RBCs prepared for neonate transfusion?  Calculate the number of vials of Rhogam needed based on the KB result.

He uses this as a "teachable" moment.  He speaks to anyone who did not answer the question correctly.  These questions are also included with the Tech's annual review.

Keep it simple.

My staff is composed of generalists and techs who work hemtology and blood bank. There is only 1 tech scheduled on day shift and at least 2 days/wk that is me. I have a great team, but when these details catch someone, I e-mail the staff as a reminder in addition to speaking to the tech involved. The item may also appear on the annual competency. Since we are a small facility, it is easy to catch up with everyone.