Complement coated sensitized cells

We use fress serum and sucrose to sensitice cells with C4 (for detection of anti Ch/Rg antibodies), I know that these cells also have C3 on the surface but I have never tested it.

What do you want to do with those cells after sensitization?

Peter

• 8 months later...

Hi,

After prepping cells using the Fruitstone method (American Red Cross #139) the resulting cells are reacting with our Anti-C3 reagent AND our Monospecific Anti-IgG. I was expecting a positive response from the C3 reagent only. Does anyone have any idea of why IgG is non-specifically binding to the cells along with C3b?

Thx

Most methods for coating cells with complement will also coat them with a certain amount of IgG.  Whether you then detect the IgG depends a bit on the method and the reagent you are using.  Basically  most complement control cells are only suitable for checking that you have a positive reaction with anti-Complement reagents, but NOT for controlling that other reagents do not detect anti-complement

Thanks for the response. 

If this is the case, when we are controlling AHG tests ,which contain anti-IgG and anti-complement components, how can we be sure that any positive reaction is due to only complement coating of the cells and not IgG (or a combination of both)?

I am not based in a clinical lab, only require cells for research purposes. Commercial cells require at least a 12 month standing order, something i don't need. In any case i think i may have solved the problems i was having with non-specific IgG binding by altering my incubation procedure at 0-1C. Results now show i have pure C3b coating.  :)