Big trouble in little China - Validated Cooler vs. Pink Safe-T-Vue indicators

St.Peirre

I have just implemented the use of some new Safe-T-Vue indicators into our procedures but we are running into some troubles.

We are using validated coolers (Thermosafe) that have tested to perform very well without allowing temperature issues to occur. We are applying the indicator to the blood bag in the fridge (suggested by the manufacture) and then placing them into the cooler. We are still having the indicators show pink constantly. I am worried because I do not want to throw out good blood!!!

Has anyone had similar issues? If yes, how did you handle?

Has anyone has good success with the temperature indicators on blood bags?

We used Safe-T-Vue because of a referral but because of the issues I am now going to start looking into the others. I am going to start looking into Lifegaurd, Timestrip and Checkspot. Does anybody have experience with these versions?

Thanks

The usual problem with Safe-T-Vue I've experienced are (1) Techs not attaching the indicator to the bag properly. The cooler leaves the BB as it starts turning red. If you know ahead of time, attach indicators to the units and check for color prior to placing units in the cooler. (2) you may have validated the best cooler and use the best indicator available, once it leaves BB, the units are out of your control, anybody (Nursing staff) can take the units out of the cooler with the intent of transfusing, often leaving the units on a countertop for extended amount of time. Goodluck solving that.

Safe-T-Vue is simple to use and would recommend it as well as HemoTempII. HemoTempII is bigger than Safe-T-Vue, with all the labels/stickers it would be a challenge to attach directly on the bag, it wouldn't hurt to ask for samples for you to try.

I would double check the validation of the coolers and try some tests in the blood bank with expired units. If the Safe T Vues are not turning red for you the patient care area may be removing the units from the cooler and then returning them to the cooler.

My only other suggestion is that the techs may be touching the indicators when they apply or activate them. These indicators are extremely sensitive to the slightest touch when applying. You must only touch the very edges of the sensors, and even though the directions say to snap the two halves together before applying, I have found that I have the best luck when I apply them to the bag and then snap them shut. The suggestion about applying them early and leaving them in the refrigerator is a good one if you have time.

Have you read the package insert from Safe-T-Vue? It states that "sometimes a pinkish hue or cast can be observed in teh white disk at the start. THIS IS NOT A TEMPERATURE CHANGE. Depending upon the light source, it is a muted refraction of the bottom red disc." And yes, I agree with BankerGirl that the technique of the tech applying the indicator can be at fault. I apply them the same way she does and don't usually have any problems. Also location of indicator is important-it should be on the bottom third of the unit if stored upright. Leave one out at RT and observe the color change. Also, be sure to refrigerate an unopened pack for 24 hours before use per package insert.

HTH, Molly