NHS - employment by two trusts - is it allowed

Auntie-D

I am due to start a new job on the 2nd April. My last day in this employment is 29th March but as I have annual leave left my 'official' finish date is the 8th April. At first my new employers were fine with my start date being on the 2nd of April but now they are saying that you cannot be employed by two trusts and I cannot start until the 16th April - resulting in me losing 8 days of pay.

I know that this isn't true as I have worked for two trusts, on two separate occasions in the past - doing locum work whilst taking annual leave so I know it can be done. I just cannot find any official record to say that it is actually allowed.

I cannot see that there is a problem as long as you aren't breaking working time directives. After all some people have two part time jobs at different trusts.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to some written proof? I really dont want my pension and NI contributions to be affected - I know that taking 'a break' from the NHS can affect this :(

I'm not sure about what I am going to write, so don't take this as gospel true.

The problem may be that you are being paid twice by the NHS (forget the bit about the two Trusts) for, essentially, the same job (if the Banding is the same), whereas, when you were working for as a locum, you were being paid by the NHS on annual leave, and by the locum agency (privately, as it were) for the work you did (albeit that the NHS paid the locum agency). People that are working part-time in two different Trusts are being paid by the NHS, but not for working at the same time (indeed, they would have two different contracts).

Just my thoughts - as I say though, I could be barking up the wrong tree completely.

Technically though I am on annual leave as I finish on the 29th and them am on annual leave until the 8th.

They've agreed to it anyway in part - I do my induction early then have a few days off annual leave and start on the 9th :)

Just goes to show - never take the first offer ;)