Blood Management Program

Michaele

Hi all, I am needing your expertise. Does anyone have a blood management policy that they would be willing to share? I'm really looking for information about indications where the patient needs transfused now, versus waiting until the next day.

This is for our cancer program-they have tripled in patients in the last year, and the docs are wanting everyone to be transfused same day--it's taxing our nursing staff who never get to leave on time anymore, our blood supply (they will wipe out our stock and the regions stock of irradiated platelets in a day), and it's difficult for scheduling purposes. So rather than have a patient waiting hours (our supplier is an hour away) for the product to get here, we are hoping to come up with some criteria to discern if the patient can wait a day and be scheduled for the transfusion. We hope to take it to the docs and try and get them on board with this.

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Michaele

Hematology/Oncology Patient Blood Management Case Studies

Thursday, April 12, 2012

2:00-3:00PM (ET) 7:00-8:00PM (GMT)

Program # 1223

http://www.aabb.org/events/Pages/webinars.aspx#0412

Maybe the above webinar will help. Also, the AABB has several other blood management resources that might have some insight. We aren't there yet, but I am studying the subject.

Edited by Mabel Adams
Oops, exited before I was done.