Hematology Analyzers

adantonio

We are currently evaluating 2 vendors to change our CBC instrumentation. We currently have the Abbott CellDyn Sapphire with a CellDyn 3200 back-up. I do like the Sapphire, but have struggled to automate body fluids. We are looking at Beckman Coulter and Sysmex with the body fluid platform. Does anyone use these analyzers? Let me know what you like/don't like.

• 2 months later...

I'd go for the Sysmex - used it in the past and it's great for reprucibility between analysers and also 'down time' due to maintenence.

Whatever you do stay away from Sieman's Advia 2120i. The analysers have horrendous down time. It takes about 4 months for the laser to 'bed in' so in the meantime there are 'issues'. Also it works on peroxidase staining and as about 1% of the population are peroxidase resistant you end up making films and doing a manual diff on LOTS! Another problem is that is has a closed system rather than tubing so if you get an unclearable blockage you have to replace a whole unit rather than just a little tubing... EXPENSIVE! Also the peroxidase bath has very tiny holes (think way smaller than a shear valve) that you cannot clear if there is a blockage - new bath EXPENSIVE! Oh and did I mention that we signed up for a managed service contract and it turns out that reagents aren't included, nor are parts. Oh and they doubled the reagent prices immediately after the contracts were signed (even before the analysers were installed).

• 4 months later...