TRM.42650--mimic temp of component stored

teskridge

Not a thing.

This checklist item is - "the temperature of refrigerators is monitored in a manner that will mimic the temperature characteristics of a component stored in the device."

We use 10% glycerol solution in a small bottle to mimic a small aliquot of blood. We give syringe aliquots a 4 hour outdate, so that's really not applicable.

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB

It is just a regular spirit-filled thermometer which is placed in that bottle of glycerol. The thermometers are checked against an NIST-certified thermometer annually. Our double-door units have one thermometer/bottle on top and an additional on the opposite side, bottom shelf. The single-door units have only the one on top.

Is anyone doing this differently?

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB

Sorry, Stephanie...I don't think I've been very clear..I even confused myself, so I called CAP. I was told that a thermometer should be somewhere in the refrigerator (whether it is the sensor probe bottle, or the daily thermometer bottle) that has an amount of liquid in it that is equal to the least amount of product you would place in the refrigerator. Example: 20 mls of RBCs in a syringe.....then you would need a thermometer in 20 mls of liquid (10% glycerol) to mimic that volume.