recomend a small hematology analyzer

Shadya

Can anyone recomend an inexpensive hematology analyzer with exceptional accuracy and precision for PLT counts between 10 and 30? We are a large oncology Dr. Office, so looking also for something not too big. Thanks.

Hi Shadya,

We use the POCH 100i (Known as the POCHI). It is also a Sysmex analyser. We use it as a back-up analyser to the bigger sysmex XE-2100. Correlation is excellent. It is robust and very reliable. Reagents are i a single Pack, but not knowing your workload, it may be expensive on reagent packs if used for a high volume. We run controls through it daily, EQAs when they come in and only if the XE is down for service etc otherwise, and it works fine every time.

Cheers

Eoin

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for an small analyzer that is easy to use the Poch-100i is a great option but the 3 part differential does not correlate with the XE-2100s. The differences in testing methodology (Pochi measures solely by impedance) are far to different and it consistently does not pick up immature granulocytes, nucleated red, server left shifts, and counts a lot of monos as neutrophils. The other indices correlate beautifully. We use the analyzer at an Urgent Care Center but we do not report a differential. I have verified a plt count down to 7 BUT if there are any plt abnormalities it will error and not necessarily give an accurate count with out correlating it with smear review. We use the XS-1000i at an Oncology center and it is a great instrument, but it is not cheap and maybe overkill depending on how many specimens you run. Good luck!

I have included and article for you from Medscape at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/509093_4

"The pocH-100i analyzer is a 3-part hematology analyzer recently approved by FDA. The instrument is designed for a laboratory running 20 or less samples a day. The operation of the instrument is fairly simple and user-friendly. It takes about 5 minutes to start up and 3 minutes to shut down, with an analysis time of approximately 148 seconds per sample. Both whole blood (15 B5L from 13 mm cap pierceable vial or 15 B5L from microtainer with 500 B5L sample) and prediluted blood (20 B5L whole blood into 500 B5L of pocH-100i diluent) can be used for testing. A lysate and diluent are the only reagents needed for testing and can be acquired as pocH-100i pack reagent from the vendor. A pocH-100i pack contains 2L diluent (x2, good for 60 samples) and 250 mL lysate (x2, good for 500 samples). Consumption per cycle is 40 mL diluent and 0.5 mL lysate. The instrument can store 20 patient samples and 100 quality control results.

The analyzer prepares 2 dilutions: 1 lysed and the other unlysed. After the first dilution is measured, the white cells and hemoglobin values are displayed on the screen of the instrument, while the analyzer processes the second dilution, which measures RBC, HCT, MCV, and PLT. With the appropriate adaptor, the instrument can also analyze micro samples from pediatric units.

Instrument A uses laser-based flow cytometry for cell analysis, while instruments B, C, and D use aperture-impedance method or the VCS (volume-conductivity-scatter) technology. Although instrument generated flags have been reported in the pocH-100i, we did not encounter any flags in abnormal specimens with blast cells, immature myeloid cells, and nucleated red blood cells. Identification of monocytes by automated instruments is difficult, especially when abnormal cells are present.[3] Our observation of reduced correlation with monocyte counts has been reported regularly in previous instrument evaluations.[4,5] In general, a peripheral smear review is necessary to validate the automated differential generated by the instrument.

Our correlation study validates the only previously reported study of pocH-100i analyzer performance. The pocH-100i analyzer is capable of filling a niche in a market where there is a need for small compact analyzers that can generate accurate CBC values. While the analyzer is marketed for physician's offices it could just as easily be used as an inexpensive backup for any size laboratory. Indeed, its direct current (DC) capability can be used as a backup in situations of emergency power outage. In addition, if a primary analyzer is down for several hours, the pocH-100i can easily handle STAT CBC orders. Its small size also makes it ideal when instrument mobility might be needed. We were indeed very impressed by the ability to move it from laboratory to laboratory without excessive packaging. The pocH-100i could easily be used on a mobile cart when the primary analyzer is undergoing maintenance and transported for use in other locations as required. Keeping the pocH-100i plugged into an uninterrupted power supply (UPS), a laboratory is prepared to operate as a backup 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for small volume laboratories and/or as a backup in larger laboratories.

The pocH-100i analyzer's compact size and ease of operation with cap-piercing capability make it an ideal primary instrument for low-volume laboratories. The operator of the pocH-100i analyzer primarily interacts with the instrument using a well designed touch-screen display. The menu options and pathways are straightforward and self-explanatory. A "pop-out" door provides easy loading and unloading of blood samples. However, the operator must initiate testing by pushing "run." If distracted, the operator may easily forget to push the "run" button because the instrument does not proactively prompt the technician to initiate a run or to remove previously tested samples. The cap-piercing needle system allows the operator to run samples without opening the tube, providing an outstanding safety feature in an instrument of this small size.

The minor disadvantage of the analyzer includes limited data management for quality control (QC) and quality improvement (QI). Although the pocH-100i analyzer has a memory capacity for 100 QC results, technical personnel accustomed to Levey-Jennings (LJ) charts will not be able to view the LJ charts for shifts or trends, nor will they be able to use more than 1 lot number of control material at any given time. Validation of new lot numbers could be cumbersome. However, these minor pitfalls of the pocH-100i analyzer are essentially negligible, given that the instrument is intended for low-volume laboratories.

The procedural manual provided with the instrument is easy to follow. The information and illustrations are adequate for a knowledgeable laboratory person to follow. However, inexperienced operators without a background in hematology need technical training, especially to understand histogram analysis.

The advantages of compact size, low cost, minimal technical skills, and ease of operation make pocHi-100 analyzer highly suitable and ideal for low volume laboratories, and/or as a backup for larger laboratories. In summary, the pocHi-100 instrument is user friendly and capable of generating consistent and accurate CBC data."

Laboratory Medicine. 2005;36(8):487-488. © 2005 American Society for Clinical Pathology

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am the Clinical Diagnostics Editor for an online publication called SelectScience. I am gathering reviews for Hematology (and BloodBank analyzers) so that other scientists can make informed choices when they are making purchasing decisions. I would be really interested to know how you all rate your Hematology analyzers, I am keen to gather reviews for all systems be it Coulter LH, Advias, Sysmex XE's, pocH etc. If you get a chance please consider leaving a review at http://www.selectscience.net/clinical-diagnostics/product-reviews/ (you will be entered in our competition to win an amazon voucher!!). Many thanks, feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments at sonia@selectscience.net.

Sonia Nicholas

• 4 months later...
Can anyone recomend an inexpensive hematology analyzer with exceptional accuracy and precision for PLT counts between 10 and 30? We are a large oncology Dr. Office, so looking also for something not too big. Thanks.

yes xysmex samll analyzer is very usefull

• 1 month later...