HCLL transfusion tags

cakesone

We, (Baystate Medical Center, Springfield MA), have been using HCLL since April 2009 in our Transfusion Medicine Service. We currently print our transfusion tags, that are attached to the products to be issued, on an Epson FX 2190 line printer. The tags are 4" X 8.5". There is discussion underway about using a laser printer which requires an entirely different printout format. Would like to hear from ANY HCLL users about their transfusion tags and printers. IF POSSIBLE, would you fax a redacted copy of a transfusion tag to me at 413-794-2721 (attn. Mike)? Thanks so much for any help.:o Need to talk,? please call 413-794-4610.

We have been using it since 2008. I will fax a copy of our Form. The top of the form has a "sticky" label. The primary information (Patient NAME; MR #; ABO/Rh; Unit #; Unit ABO/Rh; etc) Prints out on the top portion. We then peel off the label and put it on a Tag card stock. That is attached to the units with plastic ties. Under the sticky label, the same information prints on the Form below it; which also lists on the bottom half; patient antibodies; unit attributes; signatures at Issue; et al. The Form is paperclipped to the hang tag. I will put the name and model of the Printer on the Fax coversheet.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

We, (Baystate Medical Center, Springfield MA), have been using HCLL since April 2009 in our Transfusion Medicine Service. We currently print our transfusion tags, that are attached to the products to be issued, on an Epson FX 2190 line printer. The tags are 4" X 8.5". There is discussion underway about using a laser printer which requires an entirely different printout format. Would like to hear from ANY HCLL users about their transfusion tags and printers. IF POSSIBLE, would you fax a redacted copy of a transfusion tag to me at 413-794-2721 (attn. Mike)? Thanks so much for any help.:o Need to talk,? please call 413-794-4610.

Although we do not have HCLL, we print our "Tag" on label and put the label on the unit. We started with Meditech years ago and now do the same with SoftBank. Have seen this work at at least 4 other hospitals.

We use an 8.5 X 11 requisition that prints on a laser printer. It is a pre-printed form that we place in the printer paper tray. We have it set up so that HCLL will print the patient and unit information on the form at crossmatch. The form also has a label/sticker that is printed with information and we use this label on the blood product itself. The paper requisition is then rubber banded to the product. The two signatures, vital signs, etc are documented on this form and placed in the patient's medical record chart. I will be glad to fax you a copy to look at.

Similar to what we do only we do not attach the "sticker" to the unit; we attach it to a cardboard Tag (created by our Copy Center) which has a hole in it so we can then attach it through a hole in the bag with a tie tag.

Just wondering if it might be easier to cut off these tie tags than tear off a sticky label? Maybe not; just a thought....

Brenda Hutson

We use an 8.5 X 11 requisition that prints on a laser printer. It is a pre-printed form that we place in the printer paper tray. We have it set up so that HCLL will print the patient and unit information on the form at crossmatch. The form also has a label/sticker that is printed with information and we use this label on the blood product itself. The paper requisition is then rubber banded to the product. The two signatures, vital signs, etc are documented on this form and placed in the patient's medical record chart. I will be glad to fax you a copy to look at.

we are also HCLL users. Our xm tag prints on a laser printer - we have the "xm form" triplicated on one page. We load our printer with perforated paper - print and retain one copy and attach the other 2 to the unit with a plastic tie tag. I can fax you an example if you want. We are a transfusion service located in a blood center ref lab.

We have used HCLL for years. We have gone through a number of dot-matrix printers for our two-layered forms and finally have a newer EPSON FX-2190. I would think that it is much cheaper to use than any laser printer.

We use full-page forms with a label at the top. The label goes on the back of the unit when issued like vam3401's above. We have had trouble with nursing using proper documentation so the form includes pre-printed condensed guidelines on what to do in the event of a transfusion reaction as well as an area to document hang times, BP, etc.

The top copy gets charted, the backcopy comes back to BB for review.

Faxing me a copy would be great. Thank you. How are the tags attached to the product? Are they folded in half or in quarters? How cluttered are the shelves where the tagged products are kept. We will have between 40 and 60 products daily tagged on shelves and area little concerned about managing the 'field' of paper using 8.5 X 11 sheets. Our current tags are 4" X 8.5" that fold in half nicely and present no paper clutter when all of the units are on the shelves.

Mike Chechile

MLS I, MS

Baystate Medical Center

Transfusion Medicine Service

phone: 1-413-794-4610

fax: 1-413-794-2721