problem with leishman staining

mminhas44

We have a repeated problem, I haven't seen it to occur so frequently at other places. Our slides, especially marrow and touch imprint slides, get understained. we have tried changing staining time, re-making stock solution but the problem is still there.Does anyone have any logarithm for it ?:cries:

• 3 months later...

25 years back, I was in a general lab and faced this problem. I remember if the stain was prepared according to recommended concentration 150gram powder in 1000 Methanol; we we facing similar problem.

I remember we we preparing a saturated solution of Leishman stain and were getting ideal results for smears.

• 3 months later...

Are you making the Leishmans up from powder? If so, how long are you leaving it to 'ripen'? It needs a minimum of 6 weeks in a dark cupboard for optimal staining. As Khalidm3 stated - it also needs to be a saturated solution - this will mean it will need filtering before use.

Another thing to look at is how the slides are prepared - slow drying time can make stain uptake poor, as can heavily bloodstained preps.