Do you use R1wR1 cells to rule out C antigen on gel panel?

Karina

I have concluded the test patient has an anti C antibody. However the only hiccup is the R1wR1 cell is negative in gel and would essentially rule out C in the homozygous cell. Currently the policy is that R1wR1 cell is not used to rule out C due to the weakened expression of C. Just wanted feed back from others.

We have seen this phenomenon from time to time, albeit rarely. We use R1wR1 red cells with all of our antibody identifications, purely because it is always cell 1 in the panel! We also, however, use two R1R1 panel cells and an r'r panel cell.

I'm not too sure why we get the odd sample that reacts like that, because the C antigen on the R1wR1 panel cell is not that much weaker than the C antigen on the R1R1 panel cells, and certainly no weaker than that on the r'r panel cells.

Remember that the "w" of "Cw" stands for "Willis", and not "weak", as it was named after the donor who caused the immunisation to the antigen in the first example of anti-Cw described (something I forgot a few years back in an article I wrote, much to my embarrassment, if that is any solace to you) and that RH8 (RHCw) is allelic to both RH9 (RHCx) and RH51 (MAR), and not to either RH2 (RHC) or RH4 (RHc). Therefore, any weakening must be due to steric hinderance, or something similar.

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse: