Donor on treatment of antidepressant drugs

We allow donors taking anti-depressant, anti-anxiety agents to donate as long as they can provide a reliable and self-accountable medical history. The medications themselves do not require a deferral. There have been a handful of times (3 over 17 years that I can remember clearly) when the donor just does not seem to have it all together - even with the meds -- then we defer them based on their inabilty to provide a reliable medical history. If they wish to be re-instated, our medical director requires a letter from a licensed psychiatrist documenting that they have been evaluated, are self-accountable, and the medical history provided is reliable.

i've often wondered about this situation, especially given some of the psychoactives are being found to be teratogenic. still, i believe that the DHQ eliminates most of the concern as Deb has pointed out since if there is a suggestion of a lack of reliability in the self-reported medical history then the donor is deferred.

i've often wondered about this situation, especially given some of the psychoactives are being found to be teratogenic. still, i believe that the DHQ eliminates most of the concern as Deb has pointed out since if there is a suggestion of a lack of reliability in the self-reported medical history then the donor is deferred.

Yes one should not forget teratogenic medications and there is the extensive list of medication that one should keep at hand for defferal.