Refrigerator/Freezer alarm activation

BloodBank

I am in the process of revising procedure to test alarm activation of refrigerators and freezers. My current procedure has not been revised for long time. Is it necessary to test alarm activation of low and high temperature set point by placing temp. sensing probe into cold ice and warm water bath or is it sufficient to test on the panel board for Harris freezer or refrigeratos with Hemapro 2000 surveillence center. Same thing is for power failure. Do we actually need to unplug the equipment to test power failure alarm even if equipment is plugged to emergency power outlet?

I would appreciate comments.

I'm certainly not an "expert" on this topic, but our policy is to do the whole ice water/warm water alarm checks (as well as all the "electronic" checks on the surveilence panel board) before putting the refrig or freezer into use. We then the whole rigamarole once a month for at least 3 months. If it consistently functions properly, we then do it once every quarter (ie: once every 3 months.) (If there are major problems or repairs, be start at the beginning again.)

We have never unplugged the equipment to test for power failure, but a push-button test for the back-up battery alarm in included in the checks explained above.

All of the various inspection/accreditation agencies have always accepted what we do as satisfactory.

In the Blood Center setting, we are required to do a power failure test on any freezer that is used to store plasma for fractionation...but it is not to simulate a Power Failure alarm, rather to determine the amount of time it takes for the temp to go out of range. It is required by our fractionator.

Like L106, I don't claim to be an expert in this matter. We did the ice water bath process when we first validated the units. We also did the electronic check. We now do the electronic check only. Because the electronic check is for the thermocoupler only, it does not test your chart's ability to respond, so you could miss a failure there. Having emergency power backup is a good thing, but it is not 100%. You need to have a way of ascertaining that the power failure alarm will work. We have had units that were accidently unplugged, so the power failure was very localized and no one would have known if the power failure alarm had not worked. I think that testing the power failure alarm is a good idea (particularly if the manufacturer recommends it).