Trm 40120

adiescast

I am performing my interim self inspection and was looking at the note accompanying this question. The question is

Are control specimens tested in the same manner and by the same personnel as patient samples?

The note says (in part)

This does not imply that each operator must perform QC daily, so long as each instrument and/or test system has QC performed at required frequencies, and all analysts participate in QC on a regular basis.

We do tube reagent QC once daily on day shift. This means that not all analysts participate in this QC and never have (which appears to have escaped notice in our ongoing inspection process). Does anyone rotate QC around to make sure that all staff participate in QC on some sort of planned basis? If you do, how do you arrange this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:confused:

We do not rotate it, our night shift does the main reagent QC and the day shift reviews it and checks for drift in reaction strength etc. We also state the re-typing of a patient with a history of a certain blood type that agrees with that history is also kind of a quality check on the reagents. So in that way everyone does do it.

As far as other QC, DAT and fetal screen and panel, everyone does do it, just depends on who gets the order for the test!

Hope that helps.

Along with Lara, who does proficiency tests, repeat samples, etc? These are all QC tests, so if these type specimens are part of the daily workload whereby any/all techs would perform the tests, you would meet the regulation.

Edited by Bill
question mark added

Thanks, Bill. I am good about making sure that all techs on all shifts "do their turn in the barrel" for our proficiency testing, but our daily QC is rarely ever performed by our 11-7 (3rd shift) personnel, so your post gives me a little ammunition that all are involved with QC.