selection of blood products. please help

trisram

Absolutely!!

I have never been more scared/excited than the time we were ordered to transfuse 4 A Pos units to an O Pos patient.! The patient was O Pos and was about to receive a bone marrow transplant that was type A. The goal was to reduce the Anti-A1 titer in his system just prior to transplant to increase the chance of him not "rejecting" the bone marrow. The 4 A pos units were transfused to this O pos person while he was on dialysis...(good thing). IT WORKED. Positive outcome.

We had a chart/graph that showed us how many days/weeks after such a blood type change to start switching the types of products we issued. It was very useful. I wish I still had a copy of it.....

WOW. I work in a hospital where we do many major mismatched BMTs and HSCTs ald also cord transplants, and NEVER have I heard of doing that! And the transplants "take" despite that...I'm going to inquire about it...interesting.

WOW. I work in a hospital where we do many major mismatched BMTs and HSCTs ald also cord transplants, and NEVER have I heard of doing that! And the transplants "take" despite that...I'm going to inquire about it...interesting.

We all also found this particular scenerio "odd" to say the least....We all fought over who was going to issue these products to this patient. We all refused. The BB Pathologist had to come issue them herself...This was in @ 1995 or so. Perhaps technology/anti-rejection drugs/whatever have significantly improved since then? I certainly don't know that to be a factual statement...just a thought. It was the ONLY experience I have ever had like that.

We had never had another order for such a transfusion before or after this incident! Perhaps even the HLA wasn't a good match?? I certainly don't know..just another of my useless thoughts.

..just another of my useless thoughts.

Flattery is insincere, and so this is very far from flattery.

I have found NONE of your thoughts useless jcdayaz. In fact, since you have joined BloodBankTalk I have been extremely impressed by your thoughts and think of you as a great asset to the site.

I am absolutely certain that I am not alone in these feelings.

:D:D:D

• 2 years later...
can anyone give me some information of give me a link for instructions on selecting the ABO RH of blood products like plasma and red cells for all the different ABO RH type patients? Like O+, O-, AB+, etc... Thank you for your time

read AABB suggested ABO blood group selection on page 454.chapter blood transfusion practice.care shoud always be taken when giving Rh Neg to Rh pos women of child bearing age.as most of the Rh neg are ccee.:confused:

can anyone give me some information of give me a link for instructions on selecting the ABO RH of blood products like plasma and red cells for all the different ABO RH type patients? Like O+, O-, AB+, etc... Thank you for your time

List your email address and I will send you my chart and procedure for you to evaluate to see if it works in your situation.