Transfusion reaction workups

Susan Patti

We always have spun them. I was surprised this information is missing from 16th Edition.

In a way, it sort of is there (page 723)

"Free hemoglobin in the urine is indicative of intravascular hemolysis. Hematuria, or intact red cells in urine, and myoglobinuria both have other causes."

It is tacit, I fully admit, but the only way you are going to tell the difference is by centrifuging the urine (but it could be a lot clearer)!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would spin it for Microscopic Exam only if the dip stick was positive for blood. No sense in looking for something under the scope when there is no indication from the dip stick that it is there.

:crazy:

Fair comment John.

I was assuming that the urine was pink/red and that one couldn't tell whether it was haematuria or haemoglobinuria.

• 8 months later...

We use a Iris urinalysis analyzer. If the dipstick is positive for blood then the sample is aspirated by another part of the instrument, passed through a flow cell and digital pictures taken for the tech to review. Beats spinning them.