HELP/ Cellwasher Checks and Maintenance

Brenda K Hutson

In places I have worked, the only Daily QC Maintenance we have performed on cellwashers is:

1. Tube Fill Level (Daily)

2. Fill Volume (Weekly)

Method 8-6 in the 16th Edition of the Technical Manual, also describes a process for checking the cell button. It does not state the frequency, but seems to me it implies "regularly." Briefly, it is adding potentiator, human serum and 1 drop of IgG-coated cells to 12 tubes; washing them; checking fill level;checking that red cells are resuspended, and then a dry cell button; add AHG and examine for agglutination. This sounds more like extensive calibration than Daily QC "to me."

So just interested in knowing: :confused:

1. Do any of you follow this procedure? If YES, how frequently?

2. What "do" you all do on a Daily and/or Weekly basis for cellwasher Maintenance/QC?

I have to admit, though I have worked in many different places and been the charge person at several of those, equipment has never been my strong point (or interest). It is for me, a necessary evil... :tongue:

Thanks

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Daily we check the fill level, weekly we soak the heads in soapy water and clean them well. Monthly we perform bleach decontamination of tubing, tubing check, and performance testing (what is described above). Quarterly we check the RPMs.

A necessary evil indeed; we will now be taking back some of the checks that BioMed used to do for us, due to inspection issues....grrrr

Daily we check the fill level, weekly we soak the heads in soapy water and clean them well. Monthly we perform bleach decontamination of tubing, tubing check, and performance testing (what is described above). Quarterly we check the RPMs.

A necessary evil indeed; we will now be taking back some of the checks that BioMed used to do for us, due to inspection issues....grrrr

Then just a warning when you take things back from Biomed; depending on what those things are, you may need to show evidence that Biomed (or other knowledgeable entity) trained your staff to perform those functions. I worked at a place once where the BB had been doing the Tach and Timer checks since long before I came (and I have to admit, I had certainly never done that anywhere I had worked). One Inspector (can't recall which regulatory agency now), wanted to see the "evidence of training" of the BB personnel to know how to do that (use a tachometer), in that it is not a task that is part of training to be a Technologist. So, we were cited and provided the training, competency and documentation after that.

Thanks Brenda for the heads up. They cite us because they don't think BioMed is doing it correctly, and then when I take it back, they'll cite us for not getting properly trained by the guys who couldn't do it correctly in the first place. You can't make this stuff up, can you?

I'm actually thinking of doing it as more of a collaborative effort; they bring their tach, etc, down and do the check with us there with them so we can check:

That their tach has been calibrated that year.

That their results are withing the acceptable limits for that piece of equipment.

That if it is not, that we are taking the equipment out of use immediately.

We're still working out the details. I'm still in post traumatic stress mode after a recent grueling inspection.

Thanks Brenda for the heads up. They cite us because they don't think BioMed is doing it correctly, and then when I take it back, they'll cite us for not getting properly trained by the guys who couldn't do it correctly in the first place. You can't make this stuff up, can you?

I'm actually thinking of doing it as more of a collaborative effort; they bring their tach, etc, down and do the check with us there with them so we can check:

That their tach has been calibrated that year.

That their results are withing the acceptable limits for that piece of equipment.

That if it is not, that we are taking the equipment out of use immediately.

We're still working out the details. I'm still in post traumatic stress mode after a recent grueling inspection.

The other option is, if you have any outside vendor in your area, you could either have them do some of the tasks, or have them train you to use the tachometer. We have a really good outside vendor, but our "cheap" Facilities Dept. won't let them do much. So we waste a lot of time with equipment being down because our Facilities Dept. do not know the equipment, and/or Blood Bank regulations.

Good Luck!

We do the same except that we only do the perfomance testing annually. The Appendix 1-4 on page 37 of the Tech Manual (16th ediiton) suggests yearly function check for centrifuges and cell washers. We consider the procedure described (Method 8-6) as a function check and do it once a year.

We do the same except that we only do the perfomance testing annually. The Appendix 1-4 on page 37 of the Tech Manual (16th ediiton) suggests yearly function check for centrifuges and cell washers. We consider the procedure described (Method 8-6) as a function check and do it once a year.

That is what we have been doing also. But for some reason, I am feeling like it is saying to do it "regularly." Can't recall what initiated that thinking. Maybe it is because we do part of that Daily (check the fill level of the tubes; but we just do it by putting 12 empty tubes in, setting it for 2 washes, and pressing Check when it starts to add Saline for the 2nd wash).

Anyway, thanks for your input.....love to hear from others also!

Brenda Hutson, MT(ASCP), CLS, SBB

• 3 weeks later...