Rh mixed pooled cryo

Our supplier labels pooled cryo with mixed Rh types with a blood type label that just has the ABO type, no Rh. However, the packing slip has an Rh type. This to me appears to be a conflict of records and I am not comfortable putting the unit into my computer inventory with an Rh type when it is not documented on the product label. One of the explanations I got was that if just one Rh positive unit was in the pool then the entire pool is considered Rh positive, I understand this, but then why not use an "A pos" (bar code #6600) label instead of just an "A" (bar code #6600) label?

Am I over reacting to this? Is this the way other blood centers are are handling this product? Shouldn't the packing slip match what is on the product?

I would LOVE to have my supplier eliminate the Rh type on all my cryo! Too many nurses (and techs) get confused easily in Blood Bank.

After making the component and freezing it (twice), cryo probably has no intact red cells, but theoretically may have some stroma capable of stimulating Anti-D in that highly-susceptible patient primed and eagerly looking at each infused molecule for something resembling a D antigen. The odds are pretty slim ...

My SOP says to issue cryo based on ABO group only and specifically states to "ignore the Rh type, if present."

Your blood center got approval from the FDA to label it that way, so there is no compliance issue. You just have to set up your computer to handle all of the different labels that may be sent to you.

I understand the label on the bag doesn't have Rh on it but why does invoice reflects same thing?

If you have a unit form supplier with A type on the bag and your invoice says A Pos, there is a discrepancy and I would not except the product unless supplier corrects the invoice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree the packing slip should match the product. If one unit is negative and the other units in the pool is positive the pool is positive. The pooled unit should be ABO Positive, as well as the unit shoul be shipped to you as a positive pool.