Proficiency Testing for Microhematocrit Testing

I was wondering what other donor centers are doing for their proficiency testing for microhematocrit testing. We have recently purchased a microhematocrit machine called the UltraCrit. Our proficiency testing in the past consisted of testing our results against Hematology's spun HCTs from EDTA samples. Well, this doesn't seem to be working for us now with the new machine. I interested in:

1) How proficiency is done in your center

2) How many samples are used

3) What is the Acceptable criteria

4) What is a "passing" score-- 100%?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

stephanie

We always controlled our spun crits with a patient specimen. +/- 1% was our criteria. Strict, but it rarely failed (and then usually due to some vagary in the patient specimen used for QC). We would run a high, normal, and low hct each day of use. How do your results compare to the automated hematology result? I would think that is a more valuable target that using a spun hct. You have validated your instrument, yes?

CAP requires proficiency testing for waived testing even the donor HCT. You can purchase Survey "Waived Test Combination Series XL5" which includes Hematocrit.

What you are describing is competency testing. Are you comparing the fingerstick to the venous EDTA specimen crit? They won't match. However if you are using the same specimen as Hematology on the spun crit (not calculated from the automated CBC) you should get the same results. If not, one of the centrifuges isn't maximally packing the cells.