Platelet Apheresis problem

mozkowiz

Hi, I live in Guatemala, and work on a blood bank currently we've been using as a supplier for apheresis equipment the company known as Baxter, and we use the SC3000 which is a very good (very old) piece of equipment, but Baxter is retiering from our country and we're on the hunt for a new suplier, we came acros a company working for HAEMONETICS and they are offering a new sistem called MCS +, now my problem is, the brand and the equipment are both new in our country, does anyone know anything about it, has ir or has used it before? any feedback is both wellcomed and mostly needed, thank you!

• 1 month later...

hi,

our blood center is using the sc3000 from baxter and thats true the company is starting to retire the equipment and the plan of our center is to acquire HAEMONETICS equipment. i have already seen the equipment few months ago and its much compact compare with sc3000 i mean is smaller than the sc3000. i find the old machine complicated when operating it manual priming vs automatic priming.tonz

I"ve used both the CS-3000 and the MCS+ to collect platelet products. I found the MCS+ to be easy to use. Most donors did well on the MCS+ and liked the one arm donation process. I have found the Haemonetics company to be very helpful with training and troubleshooting problems. :)

I Live In Mexico City and I've been working with GambroBCT for 4 years. The problem that you mention (Baxter CS3000 going out of market) is also happening in this country. CS3000 customers are now switching to Spectra or Trima Accel machines (depending on the Blood Bank).

For platelet collections the best option is Trima Accel (short donation time, low extracorporeal volume 196ml, and you can collect platelets, red cells and plasma from the same donor in case you need it).

In case you need additional info, I can give you more details regarding the distributor in Guatemala.

www.gambrobct.com

www.caridianbct.com

The MCS+ has been in use in the US for more than 15 years. I'm not sure that I would invest a lot in it, who knows how long until Haemonetics will retire that piece of equipment. The Trima is smaller than the CS3000, single needle procedures with an average procedure time of around 60-70 minutes. I believe that you will be amazed at how far technology has come since the CS3000 !! The Trima system is an incredible piece of equipment!

Our blood center uses Cobe spectra and Trima from Caridian BCt (former Gambro BCt) It is a piece of equipment. We are very happy with the machine. It is a very safe and efficient one. The donors also love them. On trima each donor can have different time. Some will finish more or less in one hour. Hope this help.

Hi, I live in Guatemala, and work on a blood bank currently we've been using as a supplier for apheresis equipment the company known as Baxter, and we use the SC3000 which is a very good (very old) piece of equipment, but Baxter is retiering from our country and we're on the hunt for a new suplier, we came acros a company working for HAEMONETICS and they are offering a new sistem called MCS +, now my problem is, the brand and the equipment are both new in our country, does anyone know anything about it, has ir or has used it before? any feedback is both wellcomed and mostly needed, thank you!

Our blood center uses Cobe spectra and Trima from Caridian BCt (former Gambro BCt) It is a piece of equipment. We are very happy with the machine. It is a very safe and efficient. The donors also love them. On trima each donor can have different time. Some will finish more or less in one hour. Hope this help.

I currently work with Trima Accels and are very happy with them. A few years ago we had both the MCS+LN 9000 and Cobe Spectra instruments in use at our blood center. There were donors who could use either instument and donors who couldn't tolerate one machine or the other for whatever reason (usually citrate issues). Both Haemonetics and Caridian BCT are very supportive and have good training programs.

There are pros and cons to all apheresis instruments and you need to decide what platform will work best for your facility.

We have used all three technologies at one time or another. If the Trima machine is available to you, I think that you would do better with it. The technology is newer. We found the Hemaonetics software to be a little clunky and took longer than the Trima for a collection. Our donors and techs much prefer the Trima.

Are you performing donor procedures only or are you also doing therapeutic apheresis, like plasmapheresis? If you are doing only donation procedures, the Hemonetics MCS+ should suit your needs. Baxter no longer markets their blood product/transfusion division. A new company, Fenwal, has taken over these products. They have an instrument for double red cell collections, ALYX and an instrument for plateletapheresis and plasma collection, AMICUS. AMICUS will also do stem cell collections, but not therapeutic plasmapheresis. Caridian BCT (formerly Gambro BCT, formerly COBE) has 2 instruments, Trima for component collection (plateletpheresis, red cell, plasma) and Optia for therapeutic procedures. Fresenius is another company, I believe they only have an instrument for therapeutic procedures (someone correct me if they also can collect products.)

Also, keep in mind the sofware in the apheresis instruments used in blood centers in the US is different than the software in the apheresis instruments used in EU. My understanding is that the EU software for the MCS+ is much better than the software approved for use here in the US.

Good Luck!

Our center use Amicus ( Baxter), Trima (Gambro ) & Haemonetics. With my experience Amicus and Trima is better then Haemonetics. Points are time consumption, Physically impression on donors and adjustment on data during donation. Are these right?