Antibody Panels - Ortho B vs. Panocell 20

jhaig

It looks like the automation (and financial) gods have looked poorly upon my institution and the Immucor Echo will not be coming to my department any time soon.

So....

I need to evaluate another antibody ID panel to try and reduce the number of reference lab send-outs we do. Right now we use the Ortho 0.8% Panel A and use the Immucor Panocell 10 as a backup and for rule-outs. I want to replace the Panocell 10 with either the Ortho Panel B or the Immucor Panocell 20. The Ortho B would be the same methodology as we use now and has an RzR1 cell so I can rule out Anti-E from Anti-c. Panocell 20 would give me more cells to rule out on, but is also more expensive.

Any thoughts on what direction I should go?

I like the DataCyte panel from Medion (Olympus) - 11 cells. It always has a Kpa+ cell and usually a Jsa+ (occasionally Kpb= and Jsb= also). Currently I use it and the Ortho A and B panels. I am seriously looking to getting the Immucor 10 cell and dropping the Ortho A. I have looked at Biotest's 11 cell antigrams but am not impressed. The gods may actually be smiling on you. I have heard from 1st hand users that the Echo is not all it's cracked up to be yet/but again, there are those who love it . . .

Edited by David Saikin
add more info