Pneumatic tube systems

NedB

We are preparing to build a new hospital. One of the options is a pneumatic system for tranporting blood and specimens. Someone in this group once described a unit that required a code for retrieving the canister. They used the Arm Band number for the code. Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer of such a system. Thanks.

I suggest you think long and hard before using a security code for your blood tansactions. We've been "tubing" blood for 6 years and chose not to use the security code system and have not regretted that decision. On the other hand, a sister hospital opened a year ago and decided they needed to use the security code system and it has been a nightmare for them with no apparent value.

If you chose to use the security code system I suggest using a number that is readily available to the nursing staff. The other hospital is required to call the nurse to tell them the code and that can take more time than the crossmatch!

We also use TransLogic system and chose not to use the code.

The issue is that you want to verify that the intended nursing unit received the blood in a timely fashion.

We use a Blood Request slip (similar to our normal paper requisition) - that has 2 patient identifiers. This is sent by p-tube to us so that we can issue the blood. We send it back with the blood, the nurse or unit secy initials and notes the time, then sends it back.

AABB has a small 20 page Guidelines for Pneumatic Tube Delivery Systems: Validation and Use to Transport Blood that I found very helpful in setting our system up.

We decided it was best to use the secureity code on our Trans-Logic system because we didn't want the blood sitting for any length of time once sent to the nursing unit. With the sercurity code the tube system Beeps until you put in the code, then the tube drops, so the blood won't be forgotten about. We use our BB phone extension for the security code

Our process is similar to Kate's for the wards that request blood products. We have most of them trained now that if they haven't seen the unit within 15 minutes of sending the request form to call and inquire. It's been an uphill battle though!

We do use secure code when the OR requests units (there is a fridge there, majority of units are portered back and forth but if more units are needed or a case is added we will pneumatic them up). We started using the security code when the units were not retrieved (I was floored how you could go from needing units NOW to forgetting about them for 2 hours!). We hoped the beeping will remind them (though I've since learned the pneumatic station isn't really in hearing range) what seems to have helped is that they request, we send then call them to remind them of the security code and to retreive the units.

We use the last four digits of the patient's red blood bank band for the secure code when tubing blood products. When we first started tubing blood products we did not use the secure transaction feature. We had two nursing units sharing a station. Both units had called for red cells not realizing the other side had called for a different patient. Someone picked up blood intended for the other side. No harm done but a good opportunity for improvement.

So the nurse calls us to request a product. She has to provide the patient name and unique bb id at that time. It takes us a couple of minutes to issue it. She removes it from the tube station, using the last four digits of what she just gave us, initials the release form, writes the time she rec'd the product and sends it back down to us. If we don't have it back within 15 minutes we need to call the nursing unit. This system has worked well for us for many years.

Thanks guys, I will recommend the TranLogics; and I will plan on using the security code (Arm Band Number) and like the idea of a form that the receiver must sign and return to the lab. This to me provides ownership of the situation of receiving the blood, so that the unit does not sit around waiting to be transfused with the right person not knowing the unit has been sent.

We are in the midst of building a new facility as well. We went with Colombo Pneumatic Tube system. We have a direct tube system that allows the laboratory to control the flow of tubes to and from the lab. From the nursing unit it cannot be used to send anything anywhere else but the lab. When tube units of blood or blood products to a nursing unit, I have set the system to automatically return to the lab if the carrier has set in the nursing unit station for 10 minutes. During testing, the longest period of time the unit was out of the lab was 10 minutes and 24 seconds. We did not go with a security number. I would very strongly recommend that you consider this system as well.

• 3 years later...