Infusion Sets For Blood Products

jhaig

Where can I find info on blood product infusion sets, specifically what micron sizes are acceptable for different products? Is a 170-260 micron filter universally acceptable for blood, FFP, platelets and cryo?

We had been using an 80 micron filter for blood and FFP and a 170-260 micron for platelets. Now the hospital has recently (unknown to us in the lab) discontinued stocking the 80 micron size and apparently the floors are using the 170-260 for everything.

Check the Circular of Information. In the section titled 'Instructions for Whole Blood and All Components', #4 says "All blood components must be transfused through a filter designed to remove clots and aggregates (generally a standard 170- to 260-micron filter)." Of course that doesn't cover the patients/products who require specialized filters.

The thing about this that would concern me the most is the fact that the nursing service makes unilateral decisions about blood products without consulting with the blood bank Medical Director. I've harped on that here to anyone in nursing management who will listen to me. I think I've made good progress but once in a while somebody goes all independent on me!

Edited by AMcCord