Would you consider banking your baby's cord blood?

Hi, I am pregnant with our fourth baby and this will likely be our last baby. We are considering banking the baby's cord blood, of course hoping that it would never be needed. Has anyone else done this? How did you choose a company to bank with? I have read in articles in a parenting magazine a while back that talked about the downside of banking and how much of it is marketing, and that they don't really know if the blood would be viable in the future...Just the flipside of the issue yet I still think it is important to consider and was hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

Have you done this? Can you recommend a reputable location?

I regret not doing it w/ my son and just found out they let you pay out the 1st year in installments (the place I'm considering costs. $1950 the first year and $125/ year after that). Anyhow, now that I know this, I was going to do some more research.

Do your research. Start with your OB/GYN, the more they collect the better your chances are of having stem cells in the collection. YOU must be pro active, make all arrangements and get collection to processing site ASAP.

The cord blood processing/storage facility should be accredited by AABB and/or FACT.

Ask questions such as what is their method of processing. You should receive pre donation materials, read the contract carefully. Ask for processing results Total cell count (TNC) and/or total MNC, total CD34(+) cell count of cryopreserved product. Viability of product at receipt, post processing/ pre-freeze. Transmissable disease testing results and microbial contamination results. I would ask the facility for data on processing recoveries and post thaw viability studies. You want to know viable cell numbers, colony forming unit assays are the best predictor of functional cells in product.

Ask how product will be stored, LN2 vapor or immersed in LN2. Remember in theory you only need one viable functional stem cell to repopulate marrow, in reality the more you get the better the chance of engraftment. There is always the possibility of cell expansion in the future. Ask the facility for outcome data. If there have been no successful transplants with their products, find another company.

• 3 months later...

One should read "Collection and preservation of cord blood for personal use". It as a committee report that clearly shows one should only consider public banking. Biol. Blood marrow Transplant 14,356-363 (2008).

• 1 year later...