Autologous/Directed units

bevydawn

I am just wanting to see if any other facility keeps a log of their autologous or directed units? The facility I work at does but I am not sure if it is just extra paperwork I have that I don't need or if it is something other facilities do also. Currently, any autologous or directed unit we receive is recorded into a binder along with the sheets from our blood supplier telling us whether the patient donated or was unable to. Then, it is recorded whether that unit was discarded or transfused. I'm not sure I understand the point of it, when we should be able to look this up in our computer system, but I want to check before I toss it. Thanks!

Our Auto and Directed units are treated just like any other unit. They are received in the computer and processed just like all the rest. The only thing we do different is print a list of Auto and Directed units with the patients they are for as a quick and easy reminder that they are here. The list is posted in our sample receipt area.

I see no reason to do anything special like you describe. Just a question, have you ever had to refer to the log for any thing that could not be found in the computer? If not I think the log is of little or no value.

We let our computer do the work for us. Our supplier draws all the A/D units and sends us periodic status reports until the units arrive; we keep a wall calendar as a reminder. Once received, the units are entered into the computer and segregated on the A/D shelf until the patient is admitted. Popups remind us that the units are available.

Our blood center sends us a card when they draw auto or directed. We file that in BB until we get the unit. It's helpful if the unit doesn't show up prior to the date needed. After we recieve the unit and enter it in the computer we throw out the card.

We draw our own donors, so it is easy for us. We simply link the donor unit to the patient in the computer. If it is an ABO-incompatible directed unit, we simply release to allogeneic inventory. We also automatically release directed units 1 week after scheduled surgery date or after 30 days for transfusion-dependent patients. The donors are told this up front.

BC