rH Immune Globulin/postpartum

Ephraim

Hey, everyone!

Do you have a policy for timing of the blood draw for postpartum Rhig?

AABB says that it should preferably be drawn within one hour of delivery. Our nurses are not happy with this. Has anyone seen studies of survival of fetal cells in the Momma?

Thanks for your input!

Ephraim

I don't know that there are any survival studies out there. I am giving you the link to a related article here: http://humupd.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/8/6/493.pdf

Fetal cells can be destroyed by the T-cell mediated maternal cellular immune system attack. The purpose of RHIG is to facilitate the removal of those cells from maternal circulation. So, does it really matter how the cells are removed, be it by the reticuloendothelial system or by T-cell mediated response? I don't know. That's the question. If it doesn't matter, then the calculation of RHIG dose is dependent on what is circulating at the time the specimen was collected, and it shouldn't matter when the specimen was collected as long as you meet the guidelines for giving RHIG. My reasoning may be faulty here, so if anyone has a better answer, I would like to hear it.

BC

The Gamma/Immucor Fetal Bleed screening test package insert says samples should be drawn at least an hour but then as soon as possible after delivery.

I remember that mom and baby being ABO incompatible was originally found to be protective for Rh sensitization. This implies that the baby's ABO incompatible red cells were destroyed intravascularly in the mom so were never presented to the immune system. Since ABO compatible cells probably would have normal survival in the mom, it has always seemed to me like not a very big deal, but I don't have the science to back it up. I wonder what the recommendations in the package insert are based on. Hmm.

Thanks for your quick replies. We polled area hospitals. Their time varied from 2 hours post delivery to before they depart (they seemed satisfied with whenever, as long as they got the shot in within 72 hours)!

The fetal's RBCs are taken with the mother's blood stream, it can be catched by mother's spleen and liver and at these organs the antigen presenting occur,then the circulating fetal RBCs will be less ,so I think it is better to draw blood sample as quick as possible.