How much computer validation is enough?

I need some guidance. We are Meditech Client server and beginning a version upgrade, 5.4 SR2 to 5.54 SR6. This is a version upgrade so I'm debating how much I have to validate. When we went from 5.3 to 5.4 I validated the same as I did when we moved from Cerner to Meditech (a total system validation). Is this necessary or is it overkill?

All opinions are welcome.

I agree that total validation is probably excessive. I would test all warning messages and QA failures/exceptions. Make sure the system doesn't allow you to make invalid entries. I like to do a few scenarios that cause multiple warning messages. Also, have a few techs get on the system and simulate a trauma where blood products are flying out the door.

It is also a good idea to check that reports, both internal and external, have not been negatively impacted by the upgrade. I also check to make sure billing reports are correct.

If possible, ask your techs to get on the upgrade test area and just do things they do normally. The more work that is done without finding any problems, the better you can feel about the upgrade. In your validation summary report, estimate how many hours techs spent testing the system.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I agree with a previos post -- first identify what the upgrades/improvements are and test those.

Then, select a handfull of test cases from your original validation (why re-invent the wheel?) to prove that the upgrade did not impact those processes. It should definitely include one "normal" scenario and any/all "Control Point" scenarios.

I feel your pain -- we are implementing a new computer system next year!

• 4 months later...