LIS restrictions

My current LIS does not have a Blood Bank module, but I am wanting to use it for billing. I would put in no reactions only minimal information so I could bill for testing and units.

Does anyone know how or where I would find out how much I can do with my current LIS.

Thanks

Billing for blood banking work is quite complex, but how far you can take this depends on your LIS and whether it allows "preliminary" results. Sometimes, the effort that it takes to enter an interpretation or unit number in addition to the manual paperwork far exceeds that of a manual billing system, not to mention the increased complexity and error possibility.

What system are you on? We did manual BB billing, first entered straight from a free-standing BBIS billing print-out to the billing computer--then manual entry into Meditech. Now we have the BBK module of Meditech so I have built it that way too. It was pretty labor-intensive to do manually and required someone that understood the system.