Blood types and Sources

Hi all,

I'm sorting through the box of ISBT information that I have been collecting for over 8 months now and it dawn on me that I don't have nor can I find the codes for blood types and sources (say ARC northeast, ARC Nashville, etc).

I have the thousands of Product codes but not the type and sources which are needed for mapping of the Meditech dictionary.

Is there a hidden list out there??

dazed and confused,

You can get that list from your Red Cross customer service representative or if you are registered with ICCBBA, go to the registered users area and download the Registered Facilities Excel spreadsheet. This is a worldwide list so scroll all the way down to W (US country code). The Red Cross codes fall in the W2000 to W2180 range.

After finding the sources (now known as collection facilities), I built and entered them in our system. I then group all the like products together and entered them.

Please answer me this: If FFP when thawed becomes FFP THAWED then why isn't there a separate Product code for it. Is it just because we MODIFIED it and then we will just change the expiration time and date on the original label? What about THAWED PLASMA, which is the FFP thawed and held for up to 5 days.??

I'm getting so confused...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find info on something I was told last time I gave blood. The person who I talked to after giving the blood told me that I had a rare type of A+ blood. SOmething about they classed it by numbers or something like that. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. He also told me that when I left he hoped I didn't get into a wreck and need blood because my blood type was rare.? Thank you, Michelle

Hi, Nonaof 2,

Although it would be unusual for someone working in the donor center to know your blood type as soon as you donated, maybe it is in your records and he was referring to that. I will take a guess at what he was referring to. There are subgroups to the A blood type; the more common ones are referred to as A1, A2 and A3. There are also some others. The link below has some information on subgroups. If that doesn't help you, I'd suggest calling the blood center where you donated and asking to talk to the lab. A Clinical Lab Scientist there should be able to answer your questions.

There is no need to worry about needing a transfusion if you have a rarer subgroup of A. You can be given O blood and possibly A as well. Thanks for being a blood donor! Post again if you can't find what you need.

http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Blood_Group_A_Subtypes.html

PS BBers: this is a pretty decent site I just posted the link to.