Hollister Bands

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know, is Precision Dynamics going to continue to carry the Hollister brand of bands? Especially since they have their own Blood Bank Identification Bands. We currently use the Hollister Ident-a-band but are looking to switch. Any suggestions for the pros and cons of the other brands out there (i.e. PDC, Typanex, etc..)? Thanks!

Speaking of armbands, does anyone know a specific brand that holds up to water (shower or bath) for our pre-op patients? We allow pre-op specimen collection of up to 7 days in advance of surgery if negative history, but have had issues with illegibility. We had been using Hollister, but had switched to Precision Dynamics due to contract needs.

I think the Hollister bands (or any other arm band specifically for blood bank specimens) are fantastic . . . for 3-year-old birthday parties- you put a band on them when the parents drop them off, and that way you know who to call to come pick up their kid when the party ends and there are kids left over. I wouldn't use them for anything else.

BC

We currently use the Hollister Ident-a-Band. Precision Dynamics will continue to carry both the Hollister style and their own style of band. We were trying out the Hollister cards with the Precision Dynamics Bands just as a trial for a while. There are pro's and con's to the Precision Dynamics bands. We have found that they are much easier to insert the cardboard identification strip, easier to snap, and are more legible. However, they are not as waterproof, some of them are defective and hard to use, and I don't like the Cards that go with them. We have not made a final decision as to which bands we will be using.

Typenex Medical is working on a model that I wore for 2 weeks and it retained legibility quite well. The label part is covered with the clear tail of the band that attaches with glue rather than clips. It also has the unique number (ABC 1234) in bar code form if thats of benefit to you. My contact was <removed by admin - incorrect contact info>.

Edited by Cliff
Incorrect contact info

I just received a call today from Precision Dynamics and they informed me that their machines are up and running. We can now order the old original Hollister Identa-a-Bands from them. She did not say anything about the Hollister Cards - so I assume they are not available yet. I know they were originally targeted to be available sometime in Feb. Or of course they also have their own bands and cards available.

Precision Dymanic told me that they are making the bands now, but the cards are still being made in Missouri. They will fill orders for card received by 2/11. After that, the cards will not be available for 6-8 weeks while they more the manufacturing of the cards to California.

• 1 year later...

I received the samples of the new typenex bands. They do have some better points to them......the band number is able to be scanned to our blood bank computer system which would cut down on transcription errors for that. The sticky end is really quite nice and they are not easy to get off.

I was hoping to find a band that would allow a label generated from admissions to attached as I am finding so many transcription errors on the hand written bands. I am in the testing phase on the bands and will let you know how it comes out.