Hello from Louisiana!

nikkic1973

Welcome!

I didn't go to New Orleans during Katrina, but my Texas State Guard unit ran the shelter at the Dallas Convention Center. We had 8,900 evacuees living in an underground parking garage with no running water. I ran the laboratory in the urgent care center. We saw on average of 800 patients a day for 14 days, almost all of whom were Superdome evacuees.

I trained as an MT student at St. Patrick Hospital (Lake Charles). But, before that, I was a locomotive engineer running high speed freight trains between Houston and New Orleans. I spent every other night in New Orleans for many years. The last time I was there was when the Chinese ship hit the mall and wiped it out.

I hope you get things back up to speed soon.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the Dallas Convention Center. Everything was pretty makeshift. I had several POC analyzers, and could do a CBC, BMP, cardiac profile, CHF profile, urinalysis, and a few more chemistries. It was the first time I had stepped out of the blood bank in quite a while. I drew all of my own specimens. It was quite an experience.

Bob Currie

that's awesome! we appreciate everyone's help! if i can figure out how to do it i'll post a few pics of our hospital taken the day of and the day after katrina. you'll get a good idea of how much water there was in the area. keep up the good work!!