Blood bank automation - Cost Analysis

mstaebe

Good day everybody.

This forum is truly amazing!

I am interested in how blood bank professionals approach cost analysis when it comes to automation, i.e. when deciding whether to switch to a ProVue or a ABS2000 or a Galileo in the past and an Echo in the future. Anybody who could share some insights?

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

We purchased a Galileo last year. Our cost analysis was divided into 2 parts; capital and operational.

Operational is strictly cost per test. We went from tube to Galileo, and operationally, it was almost equal.

Capital was a little trickier, as the biggest gain with automation is tech time. The percentage of tests we'd put on automation almost equaled a time saving of 1 FTE, which I used to justify converting a tech position to a QA position. Some administrators may see the time savings as equal to a decrease in staffing.

I know both Ortho and Immucor will help you in this analysis.

Automation has vastly decreased the stress levels in our high-volume lab. Good luck, Kate

When all the numbers were crunched and the dust cleared administration had to make a choice. Either they let me buy an ABS2000 or add 2 FTEs to keep up with the work load. Oddly enough it then became a simple decision and in October 1999 we started testing patients on an ABS2000. We were building a new hospital with increased services. I convinced them that with an ABS2000 we could keep up with the increased work load with no increase in FTEs. So far it has proven out. Our work load has almost doubled, not only in volume but also in accuity of patients. The automation allowed us to not only survive but to thrive. We've budgeted for an ECHO and hope to be intalling one shortly after it becomes available. Maybe it's serial number will be even lower than the one on our ABS.

• 2 years later...

We are an outpatient laboratory so no transfusion service, mostly OB panels. Our Echo has been operational for ~ 18 months and has saved me a full CLS FTE. This was one of the best decisions I made for our laboratory. Lab assistants do the routine maintenance and load the machine. Scientist spends minimal time (10-30 minutes/day, depending on experience) verifying QC and patient data. Voila! 30 OB screens completed! Clinicians are happy, my CEO is happy, I'm happy, and most of all, my board of directors is happy!