Numbers for pooled products

I would like to know what different computer vendors allow for pooled numbers. When ISBT-128 starts, I would like to use one of my ISBT-128 numbers. When I consulted ICCBBA, I was told that I should be able to use one of my facility ID numbers so that the FDA barcode facility ID reg is met. Current ISBT-128 standards do not provide for a way to print a barcode in the "Further Processed by" area. Pat Distler of ICCBBA said there would have to be a new data field specific for the USA to allow a barcode for the facility that performs further processing. One problem is that the FDA is not clear on WHAT facility ID barcode they require, i.e. the collection facility or the facility that further modified and relabeled the product.

Back to numbering for pooled products, I will start with my vendor:

Misys: Pool number must begin with the letter P followed by numeric characters. No other alpha characters other than the P are allowed. No plans to allow ISBT-128 numbers for pools.

IDM's new manufacturing system Interlude will allow ISBT 128 numbers to be used for pooled products. We anticipate blood centers designating a particular facility number or the 6th and 7th characters in the donation identification number to be for pools.

Hi Everyone!

I am just new in town(Pullman) and would like to know how you guys pool cryo ppt.

I use to pool them thru a 150 cc transfer pack when I was working in Saudi Arabia.

Appreciate any comments or advise you can give.

Thanks,

Beth

• 3 weeks later...

I want to update my answer. Misys will allow ISBT-128 numbers for pooled products. This will be in v6.4 which is still in the programming phase. I don't have an extimated release date for v6.4 but the current version in release is v6.2.

The conversion to ISBT-128 is going to be a major project for all parties. For my facility, I think we will be receiving ISBT-128 labeled products from our blood center before our computer system has everything in place. We will be able to read ISBT-128 labels and we have the Hematrax standalone for label printing.