micro Rhig vs Rhig

lef5501

At the moment we have micro Rhig and full dose Rhig available to the Drs. We hardly ever get requests for the mini dose and I just expired three of five vials that we received in Sept 2004. Just wondering if there were any advantages to the mini dose or should I do away with it and just stock the full dose? Any opinions on the subject?

Question....by "micro" do you mean 120uG or 50uG??

"full dose" 300uG??

We give 120ug in most "end of pregnancy" situations and 300uG if during pregnancy. I've had requests for the 50uG in early terminations/miscarriages and they have ended up giving a partial 120uG dose.

I tried in the past to convince our medical director to only carry the 300uG but didn't succeed....I felt it would save having to ask questions on whether the pregnancy was finished or threatened, etc.

Better to overdose than underdose!

We stopped stocking MICROGAM@ a long time ago for pretty much the same reasons as stated by others.

- OB/GYN's not willing to commit on gestational age (especially when close to 12 weeks)

- too much RHOGAM@ won't lead to problems in later pregnancies HOWEVER,

not giving enough might.

I pose another question - How many blood banks follow patients given Rho(D) IgG early on in the pregnancy and thus give Ante Partum Rho(D) IgG before 28 weeks?