Malaria and medication software

We have tried with futility to find a software package that will allow us to type in a destination(s) of travel and/or a medication(s) and determine if a person is able to donate or is deferrable. In one thread a member stated that they worked for a company that was developing such software but I have been unable to find out anything more. I have also heard that the CDC was doing something along these lines but each time I've contacted them I've never gotten a straight answer. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi bloodbankbrother, and welcome to BloodBankTalk.

This is a great suggestion, I developed a web site for the hospital I work for that partly does what you are speaking of.

I'd be happy to develop it for all to use at BloodBankTalk, but...

I see several problems with developing something like this. First there is a liability issue, but I suspect I can get around that with a disclaimer the user agrees to with each visit.

Second, malaria risk areas are updated by CDC on a regular basis, I do not want the responsibility of keeping the list updated. Also, it might be a little harder to search than it initially appears. For instance, take a look at Mexico, that is a tough country to determine suitability.

As for medications, aside from the ones listed in Standards, and FDA (I believe there are 4), all other medications are cause for deferral based on the medical condition, not the medication. That would be a Medical Director decision. Again on our site we have thousands of medications listed; however, they have been reviewed by several of our Medical Directors and nurses over the years that we have used the list and is highly customized for our environment.

If other users have suggestions on how to make these projects feasible and will post them here, I will be happy to develop either / both of these modules for use at BloodBankTalk.

Our company has developed a software system that can help determine if a donor is able to donate or is deferrable, based upon travel, and medications taken. The system is called Prelude and was developed by Information Data Management (IDM). Please feel free to contact me at sas@idm.com or 847-825-2300 x 3077 if you would like more information. You can also check out our web site.

www.idm.com